Updated 7/20/18. Disneyland VIP Tours provide for easy access to all of the Disneyland Resort attractions and special treatment at shows with reserved seating.
Save on your stay! Disneyland COMBO Hotel + Ticket Discounts Save big when you book your Disneyland tickets and hotel through our recommended travel sponsor that's worked with Disney for over 28 years! Get the best deal for your vacation so you don't break the bank! Book now >
On one day of our trip we were with a large group of close friends and family touring both Disneyland and California Adventure. We went on every single attraction that we wanted to and the most that we waited for any attraction was 20 minutes. How did we do this you are wondering? With the amazing Disneyland VIP Tour service!
Disneyland VIP Tour
The Disneyland tour guides, often called plaids by the public, are a Disneyland staple. Walt Disney first established the tour guide program in 1958 to help welcome Disneyland park guests into what was then a revolutionary foreign idea to them. Since then the types of tours have greatly expanded and the VIP tour was introduced.
I am sure that you are thinking, “that's great, but why should I get it?” Well here is why. The VIP tour guide will cater for your every need. You will be VIP for the day, being waited on hand and foot. Your tour guide acts as a “concierge” as many of us adoringly called our guides. Anything was possible with a phone call.
The biggest perk of the guide is the special access to the FastPass line and skipping the line all together. When you are with a tour guide they will almost immediately escort you on every attraction. It was really cool to see them join us on the rides (I'm sure that this a huge perk to the job)…as seen above.
Another benefit of the tour program was we had our choices of reserved seats for the fireworks, World of Color, Fantastmic!, and both parades. At meal time your guide will find and reserve perfect restaurants for your family or group.
VIP tour guides are able to get access to a ride on the Lilly Belle, an exclusive train car on the Disneyland railroad that is very hard to get a spot on.
You also get unlimited PhotoPass downloads from the day! This includes any attraction photos, character dining experiences, and magic shots!
Tour guides can also show off the Disneyland Pet Cemetary located behind the Haunted Mansion. Regular Haunted Mansion Cast Members can sometimes take guests out to see it like in the video below, but it is so much nicer with your guide.
Once you book your tour (details below), your tour guide will get in touch with you to figure out the details of the day or entire trip and decide on what attractions your family should ride and where to eat.
Disneyland VIP Tour Details
Your Disneyland VIP tour includes a few perks that start before you even enter the park! Make sure you're prepared with what you want your day to look like when you talk to the VIP Tour Coordinator. Make your reservation as far in advance as possible because these tours are quite popular!
- The VIP Tour Coordinators will contact you to help you plan your day including start times, special celebrations, specific family priorities for the day and special dining needs.
- They will also book your Disneyland dining reservations and get your VIP reserved seating set up for the shows you select.
- The minimum length of your VIP tour is 6 hours and allows for flexibility for any spontaneous decisions along the way.
- Tours are available only during normal park operating hours.
- Complimentary strollers, wheelchairs, and lockers are offered to VIP tour guests.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult throughout the entire tour.
- Reservations are required and can be made by contacting Disney Special Activities at DisneylandVIPTours@disney.com or (714) 300-7710.
- Tours in other languages besides English may be available with advance notice.
- Starting at $2,550, this cost covers the tour for you and up to 9 other guests with a minimum of 6 hours. Additional guests past the maximum 10 will require a second tour guide at an added cost.
- Theme park admission to either park is not included in this price. If you plan on seeing both parks on your tour then you must get Disneyland park hopper tickets.
- Cancellation notice of 48 hours is required to avoid a cancellation fee equal to 2 hours at the booked rate per each VIP Tour Guide.
Disneyland VIP Tour Tips
While in line or walking around, the guides will provide back stories and interesting factoids about the park if you ask….make sure to ask, the stories are really fun and enhance your entire day. It is customary that if you stop for a snack to offer to buy the guide food. Often times they will refuse anything, but still offer. At meal times it is your choice to decide if you want your guide to join your or not. Also, throughout the day guides may slip away while you are on an attraction or having a meal. Don't worry, they just went off to “clock in” and check on other pieces of your day. Final super important tip, make sure to tip about $20 person in your group. It makes sense since they just spent the day catering to your every need.
As we said above, the tour guides made our Disneyland vacation. The ability to cut lines and sit in areas with perfectly unobstructed views is simply amazing. The only problem with the experience is that it is highly addicting. It was a very special experience that I am very happy to have enjoyed.
If you end up deciding to have a Disneyland VIP tour guide make your day magical at Disneyland then you will be the envy of all of the “regular” Disneyland visitors. Remember not to gloat to much when you are cutting them in line, you have been there too.
Universal Studios Hollywood VIP Experience
Universal Studios Hollywood offers a VIP Experience that rivals the Disneyland VIP tours in both cost and content. At Universal Studios you'll pay less than $400 for the entire day and receive tons of great extras with the experience.
Everyone has been raving about this new tour. You can learn more and get a discount on my discount Universal Studios tickets page.
Ready to Plan Your Vacation? Check Out Our Ultimate Vacation Tips on MickeyVisit.com!
Anxious to plan your trip to see the new changes at the Disneyland Resort? We have a team of writers covering the most sought after Disneyland and Walt Disney World planning tips. Sign up for our newsletter over at Mickey Visit for exclusive discounts on tickets, hotels, and dining along with ultimate guides to planning your vacation. Join the Mickey Visit FREE newsletter here>