This week I sit down with three-time Academy Award nominated Tom Myers, who is a supervising sound editor at Skywalker Sound, the sound editing division at LucasFilm. For the interview, I traveled up to George Lucas’ inner secret sanctum: Skywalker Ranch. Listen and hear about all of the incredible sights I experienced on the ranch.
Tom Myers has worked on projects ranging from classic Pixar films like Monsters Inc. to Walt Disney Imagineering projects like Soarin’ Over California. The stories and insight he provides allows for a look into an area of production that audiences rarely consider. The experience of sitting down with Tom was one that is only comparable to my interview with Joe Rohde.
Click The Play Button Below to Listen:
In this episode you will hear:
- How he got involved with sound design and LucasFilm
- What is his best advice for those who are interested in working in film
- Who he got to meet while attending the annual Oscars luncheon for award nominees
- What were the most fun moments working with directors
- How he feels working with Walt Disney Imagineering
- How the process of recording with celebrities influences the movie in animation and live action
- Which easter eggs you should look for in the films he has worked on
- What it is like working for John Lasseter and the other directors at Pixar
- How they designed the sound effects in Soarin’ Over California
- Which was the attraction with the most difficult sound design
- How he finds inspiration for the sounds for his films
- Plus: Listen for this week’s Disneyland Secret
You will not want to miss this episode.
You can read more about Tom Myers’ incredible array of awards and film credits on his Skywalker Sound page.
Special Thanks to You:
The Disney Dose podcast is a production put on for you, the Disney enthusiast. Please let me know if you are enjoying the show by leaving a review on iTunes. You can also contact us to share your thoughts and show ideas. Contact me here.
Thank you for listening,