Wishes, the Magic Kingdom evening fireworks show has about 700 fireworks, voices of 10 Disney characters, and clips from many Disney movies. It is held nightly to top off a magical day in the park. Knowing where to stand, how to keep sane until the fireworks, and knowing some information about the fireworks show will ensure a magical experience for the whole family.
Standing in a crowd of anxious and loud guests along Main Street may or may not be the best place to watch the fireworks. True, it does give you great shots of the castle with the fireworks in the background. There are other places inside and outside of the Magic Kingdom for viewing the fireworks.
Great Places for Views of Wishes
2. Next to Prince Charming Regal Carrousel in Fantasyland
3. On the People Mover in Tomorrowland
4. On a boat in the Seven Seas Lagoon
6. At the top of Splash Mountain in Frontierland
7. Walt Disney Railroad Train Station
8. In a car on the Tomorrowland Speedway
9. Sitting at a table in Liberty Square
10. Sitting at a table at Pinocchio Village Haus in Fantasyland
Keeping sane until the fireworks can be a daunting task, especially for those visiting and trying to cram everything into one day. Don’t do that. Please remember to take a break midday, early afternoon preferably, and GO BACK TO YOUR/A RESORT. This is nap time. No, you may not actually take a nap, but it s a great time for the kids to swim, you to take a cool shower, and lay down for some TV time. If you are not staying on property, you can still take a boat or the monorail to a resort, get something to drink and cool off. Kid you not, I can tell the families that have NOT had their midday break and those that have. We have all been there. We all want to watch the fireworks as well as get every possible ride and character meet and greet in before we have to leave the Magic Kingdom. After you have taken your midday break and have figured out your dinner plans, pack some snacks and head to your Wishes viewing spot. If you are wanting that elusive spot right in front of the castle, bring some snacks and something to drink and be prepared to sit and wait.
Tips for Watching During Wishes
1. If you are sitting, watch your hands. People tend to not see them when they are walking around. Squished fingers hurt.
2. Pack snacks, drinks, and a cool/wet paper towel. By packing everything ahead of time, no one has to get up to get a snack and run the risk of getting lost when the lights go out.
3. Go potty. Everyone. Before the show starts. When the lights are on.
4. Be mindful of trees and other items that might obstruct your view of the fireworks.
5. If you are sitting/standing in Liberty Square, keep in mind that the roofs of the buildings are covered in water before the show so they don’t catch fire. Don’t stand right under any ledges unless you want to get wet.
Last but not least, you might want to know some general information about the show. It is loud. This should be an obvious, but many guests have not seen a fireworks show on that level and it can be overwhelming. If you or your child is bothered by loud noises, you might want to bring some ear plugs or plan on covering ears for about 15 minutes. There are many places in the park to see the show. Don’t get frustrated with the crowds and let that ruin your magical experience. For some of us, it is a tear jerker. Be prepared with a tissue or a paper towel or your wife/kid/yourself may be using your shirt. The fireworks in general change with the seasons and holidays. So, don’t think that just because you saw the show in May that it will be same show in December. This past Fourth of July was celebrated at the Magic Kingdom with one of the biggest and best fireworks shows I have ever seen.
I try to catch Wishes, even if I am out by the boat for the resorts or on the monorail. Each time the lyrics for the poem, ”Starlight, Starbright” come on, I shed some tears. I won’t lie. That fireworks show and those words are so powerful that I cry every time.
There you have it, the best places to watch Disney World’s Wishes Fireworks!
Click here for today’s times of Wishes and the other shows at the Magic Kingdom.
Video of Wishes Walt Disney World Fireworks